City of Fairfax Regional Library
The City of Fairfax Regional Library opened its doors on January 26, 2008, as Fairfax County Public Library's first truly urban library.
10360 North Street, Fairfax, VA 22030
Huddleson Library at Old Town Hall
The Huddleson Memorial Library has been a resident of Old Town Hall for over sixty years. The origins of the library were in the 1930's when Fairfax Town and Fairfax County shared a collection of books that was moved from one county building to another.
In 1940 the Town and Country parted company and the Fairfax Town Library Association, with a Board of Trustees and a volunteer librarian, moved into Old Town Hall. The library was financed with an annual gift from the Town and membership fee of $1 a year. In 1946 the library received a legacy of $10,000 from Elizabeth Chilcott in memory of her parents, Dr. and Mrs. F Huddleson, and in 1962 the name was changed to the Huddleson Memorial Library.
For over forty years the library was on the lower floor of Old Town Hall. With the renovations of the building in 1986 the books were moved to the second floor where the library was given a special room for the Virginia history collections and best sellers. When the second floor was renovated the City of Fairfax furnished the library with shelves.
Today, the library runs on a very informal and volunteer basis with a checkout system operated from a small wooden box and a card catalogue with handwritten cards. The library boasts a large collection of mysteries, our local histories, current best sellers, and older novels discarded by many other libraries. Old Town Hall is open daily from 10:30am-3:30pm.
3999 University Dr., Fairfax, VA 22030
Fall for the Book Festival
What began as a two-day literary event in 1999, organized by George Mason University and the City of Fairfax, has expanded into a week-long, multiple-venue, regional festival that brings together people of all ages and interests.
4400 University Dr., MS 3 E4 Fairfax, VA 22030